Saturday, June 25, 2011

Happy Birthday To My Favorite Waste Of Time

It was Marshall Crenshaw who was stuck in my head at that time.  The song was a demo called “You’re My Favorite Waste Of Time” and was never really meant for public consumption.  Don’t ask me how it got stuck in my head because I’m not sure.  I don’t get to choose what gets stuck in my head.  It is often the case that I don’t even get to select the soundtrack for my life.  Marina’s birth is one such instance.


“Your My Favorite Waste Of Time” was a perfect expression of my time with this little gal.  She is one of the most beautiful, calm creatures I have ever seen.  When we were able to bring her home from the hospital, I’d find myself in our big, comfy chair just holding her.  No TV.  No radio.  No Internet - no distractions.  Just me and her spending time together.  I wanted the world to stop when I was holding her because having her sleeping in my lap brought me such peace and profound happiness.  At some point, “You’re My Favorite Waste Of Time” would materialize in my head, playing through in it’s entirety and I got it:  Marina was my “favorite waste of time”.


And after a year, her charm hasn’t worn off one bit.  She’s a lot squirmier, so we don’t waste time when we’re together:  we play together, take walks together, and eat together.  She has me hustling a lot more than she used to, and I couldn’t be happier - happy first birthday to my precious baby girl.
"Marina Come Home" - The Cosby Sweaters by mattzink

1 comment: