Thursday, July 28, 2011

Fat Friday Feature: Meshell Ndegeocello

I've let this blog become a bit too sausage oriented if you know what I mean.  This is Meshell Ndegeocello.  This is power.  This is range.  This is fucking talent.  I want to say if Prince was a woman who played bass, he'd be Meshell Ndegeocello.  But I'm not going to say that because that's a sausage-based comparison to which Meshell Ndegeocello will not be confined.


In keeping with showcasing bad ass bass players/bass parts on Fridays, Imma post her first big hit below.  I post it because the bass playing has a punch that I love.  I'm not talking about tone or amp settings or that shit.  I'm talking about playing that reverberates in the chest cavity and gets stuck in the noggin.  Oddly, I don't think this is one of her best songs - the video in particular is kind of annoying in fact.  But I love watching her play and she is undeniably funky.  And I don't mean in that lame ass Red Hot Chili Peppers-fast-and-furious, slap-and-hook style funky.  (This is not necessarily a dig at the RHCP, by the way.  It's a dig at Flea's minions of imitators.  I'll explain later.  Anyways. . . )  The girl has soul and power.  She's got soul power.  If you want a better tune, dig on this, or thisHere's another.  Too much for you, whitebread?  Here's one for you.  But if you want that punch in the chest - check out below.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, horrible video. BUT: . . .

    Guitar watch: the guitarist here is playing a vintage hollowbody Silvertone. Now that's the shit.

    Out.

    ReplyDelete