Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The Wayback Machine: The Kent Johnson Project

March 22nd, 2009 was the first time I ever set foot in a studio.  I was asked to be one of two bass players for a CD that was to benefit a local charity.  The music was written by Kent Johnson, who for a time was homeless and benefited from the services of that charity.  It was a blast - there is much to write about from that experience, but for now, enjoy some photos from that recording session.
 Multi-instrumentalist, arranger and music director for this project, Dan Lodge-Rigal.  His talent is only matched by his humility.
 Kent Johnson, whose songs we were recording. This guy is an amazing lead guitar player.  That Gibson SG he's playing is a loaner.  Isn't it a beaut?
 Another shot of Kent.
 Me warming up in one of the isolation booths.  I'm so glad I trimmed my nasal hairs before this photo was taken.
 MMmmmm. . . SG stylings.
 My crap heaped up in the isolation booth, where I did my parts.
 Tom Yeiser, owner and engineer of Sweet Owen Sound, a truly magnificent studio.  He is the Santa Claus of sonic sweetness.
 Kent Johnson awaiting the "all clear" to rawk.
 Drummer John Astaire.  Those drums used to belong to Neil Diamond's drummer.  True story.
 Arty farty shot.
Me no doubt nailing it on the first take.

No comments:

Post a Comment