Friday, October 14, 2011

Fat Friday Feature: Reid Anderson On "Everybody Wants To Rule The World"

It's Friday - in keeping with tradition, it's time to feature a great bassist/bass part.  Today it's one of my favorite bassists performing in one of my favorite bands - Reid Anderson of the Bad Plus.


Hearing Reid Anderson for the first time (on an NPR review of the album "These Are Vistas") was a mind expanding experience for me.  The possibilities of what can be done on an upright bass exploded into my mind through my ears.  My reaction was just a loop:  "I didn't know you could do that on an upright bass/I didn't know you could do that on an upright bass/I didn't know you could do that on an upright bass. . . "  "Big Eater" staggers me every time I hear it - Reid Anderson (and for that matter, drummer Dave King) is a fucking monster, plain and simple.  But perhaps the Bad Plus's cover of "Everybody Wants To Rule The World" is a gentler, less aggressive, easier-to-swallow introduction to Reid and the band.  But don't confuse "palatable cover" as doublespeak for "boring unoriginality".  Listen for yo'self.

1 comment: