Monday, December 5, 2011

The Voice Of An Indian

I spend the better part of a day fantasizing about motorcycles. I subscribe to several motorcycle blogs; I dream up the routes I'd take to get to the west coast, routes that would emphasize geographical beauty and personal debauchery. I imagine in detail the bike I'd ride (currently a Triumph Bonneville) in as much detail as a non-rider like myself can. Until I get serious about getting a license, these will only be the thoughts that keep me warm through the winter.

Because of their reputation for performance and their lean, modern looks, I've grown to really like British bikes. But I always have and always will love Indians. Yeah, Harleys are fine and everything, but where I used to live unfairly soured me on the bikes and what passes as "Harley culture".  Brown county is an understandable riding destination because it is nothing but winding, hilly back roads.  The views are amazing and there's no better place to test your riding skillz.  But all too often, it is flooded with dipshits with exceptionally loud Harleys - all stock except for whatever they need to do to it to make it as loud as a 747.  They ride into town, park their bikes in front of the court house (where they affect their "rebel" posture for all to see), eat the shitty food Brown county has to offer, and ride home to get rested up for work at the office on Monday.  The riders themselves never seem to have the leathered, grizzled appearance you'd expect from someone who lives up to the tired ass bumper sticker credo of "living to ride/riding to live".  Their bikes appear to spend the better part of their days in a garage, and they usually lack the accessories that betray a rider who spends any significant time touring.  Based on my experiences in Brown county, I'm inclined to believe the old joke that Indian owners share:  that the difference between Indian owners and Harley owners is that Indian owners actually ride their bikes.

Of course, I'm making generalizations for the sake of the argument.  One of the coolest dudes I know is an avid Harley rider, not some Harley rider cliche.  And I can agree with him and all other Harley riders that one of the coolest things in the world to hear is the sound of a stock Harley idling.  That is, it was one of the coolest things to hear until I saw the video below.  There is some amazing intangible quality to the voice of this Indian - I guess because it sounds like it's got balls without punching out your ear drums when it revs (granted, he's not revving it that hard).  But there is a spirit to this sound that I can't quite place.  All I know is that is sounds real good.  I can't imagine how kick ass it sounds when you're actually riding it.

So for today, I'm back in my dreams, this time riding a pre-WWII Indian en route to the southwest, with the final destination being the Pacific Ocean.

No comments:

Post a Comment