Friday, January 20, 2012

Fat Friday Feature: Jon Taylor Of Duran Duran On "Rio"

At the height of Duran Duran's popularity (mid-1980s), if you would've told me that Jon Taylor is kind of a bad ass on bass, I would've dismissed you so quickly that it would've seemed like a reflex-flex-flex-flex-flex-flex.  But you know what?  He is pretty damn good based on the little bit that I know by him.  Check out "Hungry Like The Wolf" and "Girls On Film" if you don't believe me.  I think "Rio" is probably my favorite bass line by ol' J.T.  For you haters and skeptics out there, may I present to you the isolated bass track?


I should add that Duran Duran seemed to figure out the whole video thing long before most bands.  I think the song/bass line go beautifully with the video.

2 comments:

  1. You just brought back memories of elementary school. I loved Duran Duran and John Taylor was my fave! Why on earth were you listening so Duran Duran so intently?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Wendy!
    Because I couldn't escape it! They were all over the radio, and the girls at school (and 1 boy - Aaron Garcia) were nuts about them. (Liz Bottomley, Traci Hanish, pretty much anyone else with girl parts.)

    If John Taylor was your fave (not Simon LeBon or John's bro) then clearly you have way more taste than anyone. But I always knew that about you!

    ReplyDelete