Friday, January 27, 2012

Fat Friday Feature: Scott LeFaro On "CTA"

I am by no means an expert on any genre of music, especially jazz.  However, if I were to recommend a starting point for someone interested in jazz, I'd point them to bebop's sub genre of West Coast jazz.  To me, as a general rule, West Coast jazz is very palatable in that it's not typically discordant like hard bop can be.  It tends to value nimble, precise, sophisticated playing.  I think that if nothing else, this describes Scott LeFaro's playing.  To me, his playing on this track is precise, aggressive, and confident.  I love his solo on this piece. There's no missed notes, even at the blistering pace at which he is playing.  I think haters would say that this playing is too mechanical with not much in the way of interpretation.  But to tell you the truth, when I grow up, I want to play just like Scott LeFaro.

No comments:

Post a Comment