Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Let's Start Off The New Year Right By Watching Some High School Kids Stick It To The Man

I love this - my heart literally began to beat faster watching this.  Skip to around the 1:13 mark. Pulaski (Wisconsin) High's Marching Band stops the Rose Bowl parade to serenade Gov. Scott Walker with Woody Guthrie's "Union Maid".  I love Woody Guthrie, I love "Union Maid", and I love these kids (and whoever put them up to it) for having the sack to do this.  Tip of the hat to Bill for hipping me to this.

3 comments:

  1. Hey! The bandleader claims this is *not* the Woody Guthrie song, but rather some polka or other. You know Guthrie better than I do; what do you think? Is this really a Guthrie song & the bandleader's trying to dodge the heat, or is this really a polka?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I call bullshit. this is definitely "Union Maid". It doesn't have any sort of polka beat; I don't see any characteristics of polka. I've played "Union Maid" a million times - this is it. There's a million ways to check this - here's a more fun one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAzhz29eVec

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only way the band leader's defense sticks is this: Woody Guthrie openly took older songs are repurposed them for his one. It is possible that this is a song that is much older than "Union Maid", but most folks would know "Union Maid". So again - Imma call bullshit. The bandleader probably was trying to avoid some heat.

    ReplyDelete