Friday, February 24, 2012

Fat Friday Feature DOUBLE SHOT: Mike Watt and Tony Lombardo

These two clips show my "damage":  I'm a total sucker for busy bass lines.  Busy bass lines aren't ejaculatory (See:  Victor Wooten, Jaco Pastorius) but they really aren't groove oriented either (See:  Pete Shand, George Porter Jr.).  Busy bass lines don't require any sort of virtuosity and they push the song forward in high gear until the song is done. Most of the punk rock I grew up with lent itself to busy bass lines, but very few bands actually had aggressive bass players.  The bass players that used them are memorable to me because they differentiated themselves from all others with such catchy bass parts.  "Myage" and "Fascist" are two of my favorites.  Frankly, I think these two songs are a helluva way to end the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment