Here's what I know about this song:
- The bass riff was lifted from a song called "My Love For You" by Ramsey Lewis. Take a listen to it - it's a great tune in its own right even though it some how manages to make me feel sleazy (despite the absence of suggestive - or any - lyrics).
- It was inspired by David Bowie's "Win" - another great tune in it's own right.
- I hadn't heard "Debra" (and by extension, "Win" and "My Love For You") before last Friday, when it popped up in one of the blogs I read. How did I go so long without having heard of any of these tunes? Anyway, it features a live performance of "Debra", which ALSO is worth checking out.
- The lyrics are hilarious. Beck is both the funkiest and funniest white dude there is.
Why do I like the bass part so much?
- This is exactly the tone I strive for when recording/amping my upright. I'm not there yet, but hey: I know what I'm shooting for at least.
- It is smoove and in the pocket.
- It's just enough to be interesting/catch my ear, but not over the top. I guess that's another way to say it's in the pocket.