Thursday, March 22, 2012

Happy Spring/Musical Happenings

It has been a very warm spring 'round these parts; no one is happier about that than I.  This means bike commuting, this means sipping beer in the back yard, this means certain tunes inexplicably sprout in my head like perennials that were planted by a blind stranger.  Songs like "Money Jungle" - damn this rules.  Best enjoyed at noon with a beverage of your choice.


The music rehearsals for "Big River" have been going on for about a month.  To be honest, these aren't tunes that I'd listen to otherwise if I wasn't involved with this show.  But they are fun as hell to play, especially the tunes with weird timings.  So far, this experience is living up to expectation for me.  I was panicked at the amount I'd have to learn.  Then I settled down a bit as I started getting into the material.  Now I'm kinda trying to calm down again.  My last practice with the rest of the band was a bit discouraging.  I couldn't reconcile my tabs with what we've been playing; and I was just plain screwing up a ton.  I was even having problems tuning my bass (I think my tuner was calibrated incorrectly).  I was pretty angry when I left.  In retrospect, I'm not sure why. I'm fairly confident that it was an "off night" - there's no reason to freak out.  So I'll get back practicing and hopefully things will get ironed out.

At any rate, the other cool thing about the "Big River"show is that the band is great.  There's a ton of talent in the band - it's starting to sound really good.  There's not an ego to be found anywhere in the band either, so playing with these guys has truly been a joy.

Exciting news on the Trowar front: I'm flying out to Seattle next Wednesday (thanks, taco truck!) to rehearse some new material.  I'll be seeing the rehearsal space for the first time - I'll snap photos if I remember.  I also got to do some amp shopping on the Seattle Craig's List, which is even more fun when I'm not paying for it.  I'm not sure what amp they ended up buying, but I'm sure it will be grand.  Full report in early April.

Needless to say, there will be no Fat Friday Feature next Friday, as I will be too busy rockin'.  Happy spring, all - hope everything is going as well for you as it is for me.  And remember: Eat more tacos.

No comments:

Post a Comment