Monday, March 5, 2012

Here's A Short List Of Personal Musical Firsts

First record: Elton John "Here and There". It was a hand me down from a sibling; don't remember which one.


First record I ever bought with my own money: Sonic Youth "Bad Moon Rising"

First CD I ever purchased: The Jam "All Mod Cons"

My First Band: The Cavity Creeps (Matt Snyder - vocals, Rob Snyder - guitar, Joe Zink - Drums, Matt Zink - Bass) There is 8mm film footage of this band somewhere. If I can ever get it, I'll sure as hell convert it and post it.

First club performance: with the Cavity Creeps, No Bar and Grill, Muncie, IN, circa 1986.

First bass: Lotus or Kay imitation of an old Fender Precision bass. I believe my siblings purchased this bass for me. They gave it to me when I got home from a shitty church group canoe trip; at least that's how I remember it.

First song I ever learned from start to finish on bass: Credence Clearwater Revival's "Have You Ever Seen The Rain?", as done by the Minutemen. I learned it while I was suspended from school. My dad came home for lunch and hit the roof when he found out I was spending my suspension playing bass in my bedroom. He told me to get my ass outside and paint the shed.  So I did. And smoked ciggies when I was on the side of the shed that was out of view from my parents. Matt wins!

First rock concert by national act: REM (with special guests The Minutemen) "Fables of Reconstruction Tour", Clowes Hall on Butler University campus, 1985. Memorable because I met D. Boon and George Hurley from the Minutemen when I was going to take a piss. I had them sign my sweatshirt. They wanted to write "U.S. out of El Salvador" on my friend's army parka, but my friend asked them not to for fear of angering his dad. D. and George got a huge laugh out of that. Also memorable because of the frat brats that attended the show and heckled the Minutemen.

First song I ever made up: "Surfboards from Hell", originally done with the Cavity Creeps; later covered by the Unexplained.

First song I ever sang lead vocals on: A cover of the Rolling Stones' "Dead Flowers" with a band called Fortunate Son. Player's Pub, Bloomington, IN, circa 2005. I have footage of this somewhere. Also memorable because for once, I tucked in my shirt, and because no good deed goes unpunished, my exposed belt buckle gave the finish on my bass a rash.

No comments:

Post a Comment