Friday, April 13, 2012

Fat Friday Feature DOUBLE SHOT: The Smiths' Andy Rourke And Spacehog's Royston Langdon

Let's start with "Roy Sprinkles" as he likes to be known.  Now - Roy Sprinkles - that's a name no one would self apply where I come from.  And I've watched some live clips of Spacehog performing "In The Meantime" on various talk shows.  While I was super impressed that Mr. Langdon could do that quite acrobatic bass line while singing, I can't say Spacehog blew me away.  But I've always liked this song and video and every time I watch it I covet his Rickenbacker bass.  (I will own a Rick just like his before I die.)

The funny thing is that in my opinion, the bass doesn't go with anything in this song.  It sticks way the fuck out there by itself, with no real regard to anything/anyone in the song.  It's like a song unto itself.  I think that fact that I like it so much reveals my "damage" - my unhealthy obsession with busy bass lines.  I actually do like the guitar part in this as well; hell, I even like the goofy power chord break down near the end.  What do you think?


Next is Andy Rourke's playing on the Smiths' "Headmaster Ritual".  I love the tone on his bass and it's prominence in the mix of the song.  It really cuts through the strands and what have you of the song.  It is a bit more respectful of the over all song.  Lord knows no one listens to the Smiths for Morrisey's singing, so I think it is smart to bump up the bass a bit to give the listener something else to focus upon.

No comments:

Post a Comment