Friday, April 6, 2012

Fat Friday Feature: XTC's Colin Moulding On "When You're Near Me I Have Difficulty"

Like so many bassists featured here on Fridays, Colin Moulding's got a ton of great bass work scattered all over XTC's records.  It was really hard to figure out which one to showcase - I have always loved the weird timing of "The Mayor Of Simpleton", the speed and agility showcased on "Travels In Nihilon", and the straight ahead playing with great fills on "Earn Enough For Us".  But really, I think "When You're Near Me. . . " is pretty typical of Moulding's playing style:  nimble, smooth and almost whimsical in it's creativity.  I love the massive jumps he does on the fingerboard - a very standard Colin Moulding trick that I should start incorporating myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment