Friday, September 21, 2012

Greatest Hits Fan

AC/DC is great.  So is Jethro Tull.  So, in fact, are the Eagles.  But not really.  In their own special ways, all of these bands suck.  Oddly, all of these bands have plenty of songs I like - maybe one LP worth.  Thank God for greatest hits records.  Here is a short list of bands I've never felt compelled to check out beyond their greatest hits.

  1. AC/DC
  2. ZZ Top
  3. The Eagles (as previously mentioned, only "Greatest Hits, Vol. 1" - also, what the fuck is that on the cover?)
  4. Jethro Tull
  5. Steppenwolf
  6. The Cure
  7. Big Country*
  8. Chicago
  9. Fleetwood Mac
Also, have you noticed that there is a difference between "Best of" and "Greatest Hits" compilations?  It seems like the "Best of" collections are always a little bit better than "Greatest Hits".  I suppose the difference would be fan appeal (best of) and commercial success (greatest hits). 

* - Okay, I lied on this one.  I embarassingly deep in Big Country's catalog.

3 comments:

  1. BTW, I think you're wrong about ZZ Top. Their first three albums are all pretty good and worth hearing all the way through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm open to getting into ZZ Top (I think "Cheap Sunglasses" is amazing) beyond their greatest hits for sure.

      Delete