Friday, November 16, 2012

Fat Friday Feature DOUBLE SHOT: Stuart Zender On Jamiraquai's "Runaway"; Paul Denman On Sade's "Smooth Operator"

Okay, okay I admit it:  this Jamiroquai tune is (at least in my mind) disco.  Disco is the alpha and omega of suck; the beginning, ending and ever shall be.  But Jesus, listen to the bass.  I found myself tuning out everything else.  Damn.

And then there's Paul Denman, whose playing is typically very simple, very supportive of everyone else.  As a kid, I thought this groove sounded like it would be hard to play; it's actually not.  But I still love how this bass line sounds.

Interesting fact:   seeing Denman play a Sting Ray in this video was the first time I can remember seeing one (though other dudes like that guy from Aerosmith had been playing them since the late 70s).  I wanted one from that moment on.  Eventually, I bought a 1977 Sting Ray off my bass teacher.  It's been my primary electric bass ever since - it's one of my most prized possessions.  And at Quack's insistance, I named it after a woman:  Sade.  Why?  Because it's so ssssmmmmmooooooooooooovvvvvvvvvveeeeeee.

No comments:

Post a Comment