Thursday, November 29, 2012

The Jamodo Audition Was Probably A Bust

I had my audition for the Indianapolis band Jamodo last night.  While I've not officially heard one way or another, I pretty sure I didn't get the job.  My playing was stiff, soulless, and clumsy; I basically came off as kind of not all there and clueless.  Drag man.  Drag.

Still, I'm not too down about it.  It's hard to get too bummed when I have 3 other musical projects that I'm involved it.  The take aways are this - many of which are conclusions that for some reason, I most learn over and over again, ad naseum:

  • Practice, practice, practice.  And when you think you've got the songs down, practice some more.  If, like last night, I even have the slightest feeling that I didn't practice enough, it's another voice in my head that I don't need, distracting me from what I should be doing:  tearing it up.
  • Have got to get that formal background in theory.  There's no two ways about it.  And as much as I want to go into lessons, I should probably just find a fucking book and work through it.
  • Regarding practice:  it's fun.  I should definitely do it more often.  I don't know why I procrastinate on doing it.
  • My bass (1997 Music Man Sting Ray) sounds bad ass through the right amp.  I used the horn player's bass amp, and it sounded way better than my poor SWR LA Series amp.  Not that the SWR is bad at all.  I just think I'm ready to graduate to more tonal options.
  • If, on the off chance I get in; and if, on the off chance I can make this work (they are based in Indy after all, which is an hour away - a big deal when one has a family and other obligations), this will be a big challenge for me, one that I welcome.  I'm not really steeped in this kind of R&B/Jazz/soul thing they have going on, so this will pull me in a completely new, entirely desirable direction.
  • Along the lines of "new directions" - all of the guys (and gal!) in this band are way more accomplished than me musically.  For me, one of the best ways to get better is to play with folks who're better than me.  I would've definitely had that with this group.
At any rate, once I know for sure if I'm in or out, I'll update accordingly.  But he benchmark I use for judging my performance was this:  would I hire me?  My answer is: probably not.

No comments:

Post a Comment