Thursday, January 31, 2013

Audio Scratch Pad: My First Forays Into Multi-Track Recording

In 1998, I was living out west on below poverty wages in a house that was somewhat drafty.  And I was happy as hell.  I was a debt free singleton doing a fulfilling job in a beautiful, intriguing place.  It was a simpler time for me; a time when dial up Internet was just fine and my 1 GB Compaq Presario laptop was all the hard drive and processing power I needed.

Since I lived in relative seclusion, and since I didn't have a girlfriend and money was a little scarce (though I was never left wanting either), I had time to futz around on my laptop.  I had "n Track" on there so I began to experiment with multi track recording.  It yielded two songs - one of which is embedded here.  Bare in mind I really did this mainly to see if I could figure out the process of multi tracking.  The song was secondary, meaning it is short, uninteresting and a little sloppy.  This track features four total tracks:  rhythm guitar, bass, lead guitar, and another guitar track that mimics the bass line.  I plugged straight into the laptop - no preamp or anything.  This is why it sounds distorted/overdriven and muddy.  But I can't tell you how happy I was to pull it off, and now I can't tell you how happy I am to have found this on a CD in my basement.  I have to find the other and digitize it for posterity as well.

If you care about such things, here's the guitar I used.  The bass was my 1977 Music Man Sting Ray, aka "Sade" (because it's ssssmoooooooooovvvvvvvveeeeee), which I will be doing an entry about sometime in the near future - Imma spare you photos of it for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment