Friday, May 24, 2013

A Stream Of Consciousness Ramble For Stream Of Consciousness Music

I keep seeing shit about the Boards of Canada and bands of a similar style.  Are we seeing a synth-psychedelia/kraut rock revival?  Because I feel like Tangerine Dream did this stuff already.  I'm not necessarily dissing Boards of Canada.  I feel like the slow unfolding minimalism of their music is a healthy counterpoint to the '80s revival I've been hearing in music (and fashion for that matter).*  But at the same time, it's just kind of. . . boring.  When Tangerine Dream was doing it, at least it was kind of new sounding.  Both bands feel a little too self important to me - that is bloated, serious, and technical.  They have these characteristics in common with their prog music forefathers.  I guess as long as you don't take it too seriously, the Boards of Canada are just fine, but it's not really my cup of tea.

I do hope that if there's ever another "Mad Max" movie that Boards of Canada are doing the sound track.  Or maybe a "Risky Business 2".  That seems like the proper context for their music.



* - I tend to think that the hallmarks of '80s music are:  synth heavy, busy as hell, very trebley and artificial sounding.  Basically, all the stuff that makes it lousy in live situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment