Wednesday, July 24, 2013

New In The Stable

I had stated previously that I was in the market for a cheap but cool travel bass.  Last night, my wife surprised me by bringing home a truly kick ass bass I had been pining for:  A Peavey T-20.  I love just about everything about this bass - from the sound and feel to the fact it sounds like it was named after a Soviet tank.  It was a steal for what I paid for it.  The shop it was purchased from also has the T-20's sophisticated sister, the Peavey T-40 if anyone out there is interested, but I only had eyes for the T-20.

I opted for the T-20 over the T-40 was not so much that the T-20 was cheaper (though that certainly helps), but mostly because the T-20 is a solid, no bullshit bass.  Tonally, you have volume and tone controls and that's it.  Hell, the tone knob doesn't even offer that big of a tonal spectrum, which is just fine with me (I'll adjust the sound on the amp).  I'd characterize the sound as "meaty" - not super bassy, not high gain like a Rickenbacker, but full bodied and "vintage" sounding.  God I love having a bass with passive electronics again.  The hardware is nicer on the T-40, but as you'll see in the photos below that the T-20 is pretty damn good as well.  Add onto this a very sturdy molded plastic hardshell case and you figure out this bass was a freaking great deal.  Check it out below - I apologize for the blurred, poorly lit photos.
Not sure what year this bass is.  I'll have to
check into it.

Don't know how many times I've told Auggie
not to leave wet towels on the furniture.

Close up of the bridge, which is secured with
no less than five screws.

The pickup sounds great!  I love how they integrated a
thumb rest as well.  I will use the hell out of it.

Volume and tone.  That's it. And that goofy
"P" from Peavey's logo.

This bass is 'murican made - how great is that?
The headstock also features that awful-in-a-cool-way
Peavey logo. 

Responsive, quality tuning pegs.

One of my favorite features of this bass is the
microtilt for the neck - something one only
sees on higher end basses.  You stick an allen
wrench in the hole and twist. This adjusts the
tilt of the neck in relation to the body and allows
the player to fine tune the bass's action.  Very,
very cool!

There is a small hole drilled in the lower horn of
the cutaway.  Likely it is for a strap button
and this bass was probably owned by
a  left handed bass player at one point.


The immediate upgrades for this bass will be strap locks and strings that can handle the Trowar drop tunings.

I remember scoffing at Peavey gear as a teen aged bassist.  I'm not sure why.  I probably thought it was just some cheap Japanese crap (which in itself is an ignorant, uninformed opinion).  This is a phenomenal American-made entry level bass.  Hard to believe, but maybe I've grown up just a tad.  But only a tad.

Deep heartfelt thanks to MB.  Somehow getting this bass from you made it even more special - really.  I promise to play the hell out of this bass.

No comments:

Post a Comment