Thursday, October 31, 2013

Random Musical Memory

I remember seeing/hearing this video, hanging out at Bill's house on Stull.  Doors open, warm breeze coming in the front of the house.  Lying on the floor, reading (and not getting) a "Love and Rockets" comic, getting a deep crush on Luba.  And of course, smoking ciggies - probably Winston Lights.


I remember having mixed feelings about this song and video, which I had seen on MTV's "120 Minutes".  With the totally new, mostly synth based sound of  the "Ideal Copy" album, I wasn't sure if Wire had jumped the shark or accelerated their musical evolution.  The album - and their new sound - eventually grew on me though I'll always be partial to what I consider their ground breaking, unappreciated and unheralded work of the 1970s.  Don't believe it's awesome?  Go buy a copy of "Pink Flag".  Go rent the "Wire on the Box" DVD.  Wire's modern, minimalist sound and song structure of the 70s era still feels very ahead of it's time.

No comments:

Post a Comment