Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Context Is Everything

I've said often that the soundtrack of our lives often chooses us, not the other way around.  Another way to put it would be to say "context is everything".  If you'd ask me to sit down and listen to the funeral march from Beethoven's "Eroica", most likely it would register emotionally in a very limited way. Stuff like "oh, that's a nice piece" and "I wonder if the bassist is playing with a French bow or a German bow" might pass through my thoughts.  If I liked it enough, I might even try to remember the piece to download it/listen to it again later.

But in light of the introduction in the video below, I don't think I'll forget it now.  Listening to this piece in my cozy (but lame) office 50 years after it was performed, it sent chills down my spine.  I was transfixed.

Uploader "sexgulag" (LOLz on that name, by the way) has the full explanation of the video in the "about" section on You Tube, but for the full emotional impact, listen to the first 3 minutes or so before clicking over to You Tube to read it.

UPDATE:  This entry has had multiple formatting issues that have been fixed.

No comments:

Post a Comment