Friday, December 6, 2013

Sonic Firsts: Media Edition*

First vinyl record:  "Here and There" by Elton John.  It was a hand-me-down from one of my siblings.  I played it on a red (with a red and white striped lid) record player designed for kids to use.  Favorite track was "Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding".  I loved the build up of that tune.  Not sure how old I was when this album came into my possession - probably about 9 years old.

First vinyl record I ever purchased with my own money:  "Bad Moon Rising" by Sonic Youth.  Purchased at the legendary A1 Records in Anderson, Indiana, way back when A1 was still operating out of the bottom of an apartment building near my school.  Everything you purchased from that place smelt of incense.  Favorite track was either "Intro" or "Death Valley '69".  Purchased in 7th grade, I believe.

First Compact Disk I ever purchased with my own money:  "All Mod Cons" by the Jam.  After first hearing live versions of "All Mod Cons",  "To Be Someone (Didn't We Have A Nice Time)", "In The Crowd" and "It's Too Bad" off the Jam's excellent "Dig The New Breed" album, I felt somewhat let down by "All Mod Cons".  It felt forced and sanitized; it lacked the energy of many of their other albums.  I appreciated the blue collar tone of some of the songs, but I never actually bought into it.  Favorite track was "In The Crowd".  I don't remember how old I was when I purchased this, but it was sometime in high school.

First MP3 I ever downloaded:  "Pale Blue" by the Byrds.  Downloaded via iTunes.  I love the Byrds; but this is kind of a crappy song, actually.  I downloaded three tunes that day; I can't remember what the other two were.  However, I know for a fact this was the first of the three that I downloaded.  I loved the novelty of downloading tunes.  I also recognized how, since iTunes had my credit card number, downloading could be a very bad thing:  it was almost too easy to acquire music.  If I wasn't careful, I knew my credit card would take a beating.  Purchased in 2002 if memory serves.

First pirated album/mp3 I ever downloaded:  Can't recall for sure, but I do know that it was via Napster and when I was living in Louisville, Kentucky.

* - To the best of my memory, these are my firsts.  I'll post corrections if I find out I'm wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment