Friday, April 25, 2014

Some Random Notes On A Lost 80s Classic

I have such a hazy recollection of the Producer's "She Sheila" that I was beginning to think I imagined it.  Thank goddess for the collective memory that is the Internet - I'm not going crazy after all.  I don't ever remember having ever seen this video on MTV (even though it would've been airing before we ever had cable in our household, I used to watch MTV any chance I'd get when visiting friends and family who had cable); instead, I found it on the local Fox affiliate's video show called "Rockbox".
Besides the fact that the influence of the 1980s are in full swing (you know it's a big deal when marketers are picking over the era for inspiration), there are several things I'd like to point out:
  • I love the tone of the bass on this.  Very meaty; ballsy.
  • Look.  At. That. Keytar!  Being played by a guy that goes by the name of "Wayne Famous".  The cheese factor of both things just cranked it into the category of "awesome".
  • I have always found that the piano part keytar part on this is a major earworm for me.  And I'm okay with that.
  • If the fashion wasn't 80s enough for you, the bad lip syncing should be.  Throw in the Utopia-esque harmonies at the 2:40 mark and you should be verging on 80s overload.
  • About that fashion:  again - the 80s are alive and well apparently because to me, they look like any given band at Coachella 2014.
  • I'm pretty sure I used to see "Sheila" in Olan-Mills circulars in the Sunday paper when I was a kid.
Let's face it:  this is a pretty dopey song and a crappy video.  But I can't help loving it.

No comments:

Post a Comment