Monday, May 5, 2014

TOTT Gig Report: Three On The Tree Debuts At Big Woods Pizza Company

Three On The Tree had their first ever show this weekend at Big Woods Pizza Company in Nashville, Indiana.  We played from 7:30 to 9ish, and I think it went very well for a debut!  We played out on the patio under the staircase, which felt a bit strange at first.  The disadvantages to playing under the stairs were that it presented some acoustic issues (mild feedback issues a couple times) and it was very cramped.  Also, traffic going into the restaurant had to walk right in front of us to get into the restaurant (though this didn't end up being a distraction for us).  But the advantages outweighed the disadvantages:  since we were facing the main drag in Nashville, we got a lot of exposure to passers by.  I believe the patio seats more than the interior of the restaurant, so I think we really reached a lot of folks since the patio was packed the entire time.  The manager told us afterward that folks who left when we started soon came back after they heard a song or two.  Some pedestrians watched for a few moments from the sidewalk before continuing on their way, so we were able to get some of the attention we'd hoped to get.

As for the performance itself, it wasn't perfect.  There were some songs we had a hard time getting out of; and there was a wrong chord or note here or there.  I also felt like we could have smaller gaps between songs, but that and the minor sound issues will be resolved as we continue to gig and get our system down. I'm generally pleased with my playing and singing, but man I need to practice some of these songs and build up my endurance - we have some long gigs coming up!  And the G-string on my bass sounds horrible past the D-position.  I'm not sure what to do about that, but it does stress me out.

But the crowd liked us as evidenced by the tip jar, and the manager absolutely loved us.  He gushed as did the wait staff.  It sounds like we might be in their regular rotation soon enough both at the Nashville and Bloomington locations.  We're looking forward to being there again soon, and I'll keep you readers up-to-date on all future gigs.

Mary Beth took some photos, but I don't have them at the moment.  I'll post soon enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment