Friday, November 7, 2014

Fat Friday Feature: Sting On The Police's "Bombs Away"

One of the semi-regular features here at "History Lesson, Pt. 2" is to take Friday and showcase a particular bass part/bass player of note.  Today, I'm going to look at Sting's bass line on the Police's "Bombs Away".

I've always liked the Police.  Always.  I've committed to memory every song on every album starting with "Zenyatta Mondatta", and eventually, I worked my way through their back catalog.  It's all great stuff.  They are a huge reason that I'm drawn to trios - there can be no weakness.  Everyone has to kick ass or the whole thing falls apart.  Try to think about removing Stewart Copeland from the Police.  Or Andy Summers.  It just wouldn't work, I'm positive of it.  Or go the other direction - add a keyboard player.  Or relinquish the vocal duties to someone else.  Most likely, it would be bloated and sucky.  The Police all pull together to make one kick ass song after another.  And as I've gotten older, I've become even more of a fan.

But I've never really paid much attention to Sting's bass work.  Don't get me wrong - I've never thought of it as bad.  In fact, Sting plays like a good bass player should:  his playing always serves the song.  Never too much busyness.  

One exception is "Bombs Away".  Sting shows us (okay, shows me) that you can be busy on the bass and still serve the song.  I love the originality of this line; I love how it creates the groove and unique feel (along with the drums) to this tune.  Check it, yo.

No comments:

Post a Comment