Monday, May 25, 2015

Gig Report: M&M&MM At The Acoustic Roots Festival

As mentioned previously, I had a gig this past Saturday at Upland Brewery at the Acoustic Roots Festival.  I'm pleased to report we played very well; and for once, I can look back on my own performance and say it was almost error free.We had a very short set - 30 minutes - so I didn't have much time to screw up, that's for sure.  I felt like we played a little faster than we normally do, but that's to be expected - the nerves always account for a little bit of extra speed.  The weather was fantastic - lower 80s and mostly sunny.  The whole set up was very professional, from special "artist" areas to local food vendors and even a "green room" with snacks for the performers.
My artist pass and vouchers for two
free beers. 
Probably my only complaint was despite the good publicity for this show, there weren't a whole lot of people there, at least not when we played.  Since most people like to hit the road or have other things to do on Memorial Day, perhaps it is not the best weekend for this event.  I took off after having a beer, eating some Delicious pork tacos, and hanging with the family for a little while (about an hour).  It may have gotten packed as the sun began to set; but I'm not sure.  I have to admit that if I didn't have this gig, I'd be up in Michigan helping prep the cottage for the summer.
Bessie - that's our set list you see taped to her shoulder.  Photo
by Marina.
This was my first gig with Mark and Misty and the Midnight Munchers*, and it couldn't have gone much better.  The one screw up that I can think of that was pretty obvious was when I tried to follow someone else who was also messing up.  I second guessed myself and followed 'em off the cliff, but we quickly got back to where we were supposed to be.  I doubt that too many people noticed.
Packin' up, post gig.   I basically tried
to dress like Dan Willems for this gig-
old combat boots, jeans, undershirt and
cowboy shirt.  Photo by Auggie.
The bassist in the band that played after us played this nifty
little bass.  I guess there's a guy in Brown county that makes
these.  I can't remember the name of the bassist, his band, or the
luthier in Brown county who makes these.  Getting old is
bitch.
I haven't asked to see if WFHB live streamed it, or if they're going to upload an archive of the show.  I'll check into it and post it if they do.  Other than that, not much else to report.  It was a great - if under attended - show at a great venue with great food and great weather.  This was a definite win.

*-Oddly, though it's my first gig with them, it is my second to last.  I'm going to perform with them at Monroe County Fair on July 31st and call it a day.  So come to that one - you won't regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment