Friday, May 1, 2015

R.I.P. Grooveshark

(Sigh.)  Well, it finally happened: the record industry has succeeded in killing off grooveshark.com once and for all.  If you go to the website now, there is a farewell message that to me reeks of some sort of coerced confession of guilt.  They fought much longer than I thought they could, but they were no match for the money and resources of the major players.

 I first mentioned this legal battle all the way back in 2011. Seeing the writing on the wall, it was at that time that I stopped embedding links from Grooveshark in this blog, favoring instead You Tube links so that they wouldn't disappear.  (Well, at least most of them wouldn't disappear.)  I don't have great sentimentality for Grooveshark, but it was simple, required no user account, and almost always had the most obscure tracks I could think of.  It wasn't pretty, but it was utilitarian. For that reason, I'm sad to see it go.  

No comments:

Post a Comment