Tuesday, November 24, 2015

How Am I Doing? Revisiting My Audio New Year's Resolutions

We're hurtling towards 2016, man.  What happened to your New Year's resolutions?  How'd you do?  I wrote a bit about mine in January of this year.  These are my goals for 2015 in just the world of sound.  I haven't thought much about them, which doesn't bode well.  But let's double check - what's done?  What remains to be done?  Here's the score:
  • Buy a new, larger capacity SD card for the 4-track recorder.  Done.
  • Learn how to bounce tracks on the 4-track recorder.  Not done.
  • Learn how to master tracks on the 4-track recorder before exporting them to the computer.  Not done.
  • Get crack in the top of my ukulele fixed, or replace the uke altogether.  Not done.  This one bears further discussion though.  I did get an estimate for repairing the top from a local violin maker - $75.  Honestly, it's probably more than the uke is worth, but as that instrument was a gift from my wife on my 38th birthday, it means a lot to me.  I will probably go forward with getting it fixed.  Besides, I'm totally enamored with it - love the look, love the sound.  I look at ukes a lot, but really, I'm completely happy with the one I have.  I probably won't buy another one, at least not until I get my current uke fixed.  It means too much to me, and it's a decent, mid-tier ukulele.  I play it everyday, so it's worth it.  I just have to get it fixed.  So it is possible I could still take care of this one before we ring in a new year.
  • Make a cardboard upright bass from scratch.  Not done.  Oddly, I don't feel super compelled to knock this one out.  Maybe though.  It would be a fun instrument.
  • Record one ukulele multi-track a month.  Not even close.  'Nuff said.  It's funny - this is doable because I play my uke almost every day.  Oh well.
  • Learn the bass lines for every song on a given album.  Not done.  Still could be though.  
Wow.  I didn't get shit done.  That's the bad news.  The good news is that I kept busy with gigs (many of which I didn't bother to write about), I started a design collaboration of a fretless electric bass guitar that my brother Karl will build, I working on some recording projects (hope to be uploading some next month) and I've worked with some new gadgets and software (got my sweet USB mic to work with my phone).  I've also put some apps on my phone that allow me to use the mic to get high quality recordings (look for some Audio Scratch Pad entries soon) and even multi-track on my damn phone!  These are truly wondrous times in which we live.  I just need to take advantage of it and use my time better.

No comments:

Post a Comment