Sunday, August 21, 2016

First Dance: Joan and Terry

With my anniversary coming up, my thoughts have turned to love.  Let's all go back to day one; let's look at the songs that sent your marriages off.  Let's look at your first dances.
My sister Joan and her husband Terry's first dance was "Hero" by David Crosby with Phil Collins:


Terry wrote to me about it.  He thinks the song was more his choice than Joan's; and that it still "tugs at his heart".  He also remembers being swept up in the moment of that first dance, but Joan maybe not as much.  Joan is not crazy about being the center of attention, so she waved other dancers to the floor perhaps a bit sooner than her new husband would've liked - someone cut in to dance with Joan before the moment could come to it's natural completion.  If he had the opportunity to do it all over again and select a different song for the first dance, Terry wouldn't change anything.  He says that a lot of great tunes have come out since they got married, but rightly points out "that was the music we listened to when our relationship developed.  You just can't change that."

Terry also mentioned another anecdote related to wedding music.  He writes:
I remember meeting with the DJ before the wedding and giving him the music we wanted to listen to during the reception.  I specifically requested "Try And Love Again" and "Pretty Maids All In A Row" by the Eagles off their "Hotel California" album.  What we got was "Hotel California"* which is an iconic classic, but hardly a wedding song.  I was having too much fun to let it ruin my day, but it still nags me to this day.
I feel you, dog.  But at least it wasn't "Best of My Love".  Don't get me wrong:  that's probably my favorite Eagles song.  But a song about trying - and failing - at love is the audio equivalent to that foreboding wedding scene from "The Deer Hunter".

*-In searching for the studio version of that tune on You Tube, I was mostly running into videos that had been taken down for copyright or some shit.  So I linked to the great version used in "The Big Lebowski".  

No comments:

Post a Comment