Sunday, August 21, 2016

First Dance

My 14th wedding anniversary is bearing down on me.  When August 31st rolls around, whatever is going on in my life at the time, I tend to feel humbled and grateful at the life that Mary Beth and I have made together so far.  This life - this family - we've eked out together is the one thing that I am proudest of in this world.  It is a life that is never stagnant, it is always changing.  But when our wedding anniversary comes around, so too does "The Fourteenth of February".  Some biological clock inside me puts the song in my head with more frequency in August; and the song takes me to the roots of our love in a very urgent, very vivid way. And just like the first time I heard "The Fourteenth Of February", I stop what I'm doing and feel peace.

Speaking only for myself, part of the appeal of having "The Fourteenth Of February" as a first dance is that it is a waltz.  Besides having a weakness for many songs in 3/4 time (as "Fourteenth" is), I thought I could fake a waltz on the dance floor with all my friends and family watching.  (Turns out I can't.)  So there was, I admit, a practical reason for selecting that song as our first dance.  But ultimately, the emotional rush I get from the tune is a big reason I love that song to this day.

I found myself wondering if others I know still feel something when they think of their first dance together.  I reached out to some friends and family, and the next few entries will highlight their responses.  I bet you'll enjoy reading them as much as I do.

Below, you can hear the man himself reading the lyrics of "The Fourteenth Of February" as well as providing some context for the song itself.  Dig it.



And just because I love the song so damn much, enjoy it also in its demo form - not as good as the final product, but it's always fun to hear the glimmers of greatness in demos:

No comments:

Post a Comment